The Rhiat is the central continent (for gaming purposes) on the planet. It is located on the second planet of of the solar system, Uod, which by convention is reasonably similar to the Earth in the geological and astronomical sense. Both commoners and astronomers refer to the planet as Uod in a casual manner, just as we toss around the word “Earth”. The Chlendi, original astrologers in the Rhiat, saw the universe as a system of spheres and planes. The stars were magical points on the sphere that surrounded Uod, while the Sun and other planets existed in their own spheres.
The year is 3042. The Rhiat has been occupied by the Heteri people as long as anyone can remember. The Maetah arrived from the north 1500 years ago, and the Chlendi 500 years later. When the Mindat people came from the south, conquering numerous Heteri city-states, the Chlendi and Maetah allied as the Esklatli ‘Empire’, and drove back the Mindat. After over a thousand years the Eskla pact dissolved through succession, outside threats, and interenal apathy. The Esklarli ‘officially’ dissolved two hundred years ago, and most of the major nations of the Rhiat were at one time provinces within the Eskla.
What’s Going On
- Goblin Invasion
- Heteri Civil War
- The Church of Thedine
- Guild Wars
Ethnicities & Cultures
- Chlendi - Olive skinned and dark haired. Animistic clans who conjure and worship spirits.
- Eskla - A mix of Chlendi and Maetah peoples. Little independent culture, but a mix of the original pantheons of both. Traditionally dark hair and a variety of skin tones.
- Heteri - Clans of burly, brown-skinned horsemen, who settled down into city-states along the Rhiat’s southern coast.
- Maetah - Skin and hair of light colors. Clans traditionally fished and practiced animal husbandry.
- Mindat - Wiry, dark skinned people of an academic empire of the south.
Other Sentient Species
- Nogs - Imp like creatures, similar to goblins, but appear in shades of tan and brown. Used as slaves in Vensat, Ghikarn’nagi and other lands to the South.
- The Shnkvarut - graceful, alien species. Practice an extreme form of ancestor worship, and live on the islands to the South-East of the Rhiat. More…
- Goblins - a variety of colours, shapes, and sizes. The Kosh, the green goblins from below, have recently invaded Balaconth.
- Other Species
Nations & States
- Vennosat - small collection of coastal cities and towns, run by a variety of merchant families and guilds. Vennosat City is the foremost port and trade center of Rhiat.
- Argaevaligne - Theocratic Monarchy along the North Sea coast
- Ramush - Traditional settlements of the Chlendi people in the Rhiat. Broke off from Argaevaligne after the Eskla Pact collapsed. A land of swamps and hills, now in a border dispute with Argaevaligne.
- Nipend - Small mountainous realm betweem Balancont and Argaevaligne
- Mindat - Ancient Empire to the south. The Mindat conquered the Heteri lands and occupied them for nearly 400 years, using the reptilian cavalry, airships, and dark rituals to quickly overrun their opponents. The Mindat follow the philosophy of the White Book, and sacrificed their old gods to power grand military sorcery.
- Ghikarn’gai - Ancient Heteri lands, until recently occupied by the Mindat. Now ravaged by civil war as old tribal and political feuds re-emerge.
- Balancont - Old province of a few ports and farmland, now overrun by goblins invading from the subterranean realms.
Other Nations & Sovereign Cities